Iyengar yoga wall
The “yoga wall” is a wall with fixed ropes that help the practitioner to enter different yoga positions safely and comfortably. It was first used by the great teacher B.K.S. Iyengar. Iyengar developed a yoga system based on alignment, balance and symmetry. This wall helped him to give these principles to his most stiff students.
According to Iyengar’s eldest daughter, Geeta S., a yoga wall can be an invaluable tool for students who are stiff, weak or unable to perform certain asanas without support.
The yoga wall facilitates inverted positions, and the student better understands how to stand and how to correct the alignment of their body. With yoga wall, some difficult body parts, such as the hips and back, may be possitioned with ease.
It is an invaluable tool for teachers and students of all levels.
Why you should try it:
- You will discover a new and exciting way to do your yoga practice.
- You will better understand positions such as back bends, forward bends, turns and inverted supports.
- The help of ropes is important for the balance of body and mind. You will atchieve positions that you can not perform with the classic practice.
- The body is supported securely and the spine is stretched in difficult areas.
- Positions like the Bhujangasana (cobra) run deeper and with absolute safety.
- Each asana can be kept for a longer period of time. So you get all the benefits of each asana, as you stay in position comfortably, breathe deeply and understand the asana experience.
- You can stay longer in the inverted position without squeezing the skull, freeing all the vertebrae.
- Extend your movement by staying in position, increasing the movement of all joints.
- Better focus as the movements become easier. You will feel more flexible in your spine, and you will eventually love the practice on the wall.
Iyengar yoga wall is available at Marga Yoga since September 2017. Students of all hatha yoga classes I, II, III practice with this tool in the classic asanas and in more specialized ones.